Who does not want more convenience? I wrote an entire blog post thanking some of the brands that are making life more convenient and delicious. Today’s post will be a tribute to another company: SmoothieBox. The fellow smoothie-loving folks will easily appreciate this one, but others might be convinced, too, once they try the recipes below!
What is (and why) Smoothie Box?
Smoothie Box is a service that brings to your door pre-made smoothie kits. You do NOT have to subscribe- in fact, we started with a one-time order. Then, next month, we ordered again, and again, until we realized that subscribing made more sense. Once you subscribe, it is incredibly easy to cancel, skip, edit the frequency of, your deliveries. Since we are moving out of state, we are skipping our next delivery, until we settle down. You can decide between 20 and 25 packages of smoothie kits (we get 25). You can also select how many of the four flavours to get: cacao, green, berry, and clementine. As I mention below, I always get an extra berry flavour!
Now, as to the why I have decided on the Smoothie Box among others:
- The packaging doesn’t take too much space. I have tried (and kind of enjoyed) smoothie services whose containers would take too much space in the fridge. Smoothie Box packages are like any frozen fruit/veggie packages, nothing bulky.
- They are filling. I have a big appetite, and smoothie delivery packs were so tiny that it totally did not make sense for me to order. I was adding veggies and fruits just to be full. Although I share fancy recipes below, you will also see that my go-to is to just add a cup of liquid and a banana (which is definitely optional) and you’re good to go.
- The cardboard boxes these smoothie packages come in are so easy to fold to recycle (Little things do matter sometimes!).
- Not only is the portion size amazing, even if you only use half of the package, you won’t waste anything. Just put the rest of the package in the freezer- like what you would do with, say, frozen mixed berries.
- Smoothie Box probably brings the most balanced ingredients to your door. Because the pouches include a variety of seeds and nuts, as well as fruits and vegetables, you get to benefit from healthy fats.
- They use organic ingredients, with no sugar added, and no artificial ingredients.
- It is the easiest way to use my favourite superfoods.
- They taste AMAZING. And there’s something for everyone: My favourites are the berry and the green, my husband loves the clementine and cacao, and the little one enjoys them all in his popsicles and smoothies.
- Through every order, you collect reward points and use those points on your next subscription deliveries. I mean, every little bit counts, doesn’t it? Last time I got a $20 discount just through my “points”, which helped.
Discount code: On that last note, I have a discount code for ya! Type the code SHAKINGMYTOFU to get a $15 Off + Free Shipping On Your First SmoothieBox.
The simplest go-to
Because the pouches all do taste amazing on their own (and also because, well, convenience) there is no reason not to keep it simple. To be honest, most days this is what I do:
- Pour the entire pouch into the blender.
- Add some liquid (usually almond/oat milk, sometimes coconut water).
- Add superfoods.
- Add one banana (Because I adore bananas).
- Sometimes I add a small slice of ginger and mint (extra antioxidant, anti-allergy, digestion help etc.)
- Blend and enjoy.
The only difference from one day to another is what superfoods I add. Because I like good-looking smoothies (it’s a thing!), if I use the Green Smoothie Pouch, for example, I use green superfood mixes; if I am making a Berry Smoothie, I use Forever Beautiful , Moon Balance (You know how much I love Shatavari for hormone health!), and Plant Collagen; with the clementine pouch, it’s usually one of the neutral-coloured superfoods, like the Plant Protein mix, along with the anti-inflammatory (and adaptogenic) Golden Mellow mix.
Tips to make creamy and filling smoothie bowls:
I receive this question on Instagram all the time: How do you make a smoothie bowl that is creamy and filling?
For thick, creamy, filling smoothie bowls, let your frozen ingredients defrost a little bit. This allows you to use much less liquid, to begin with, resulting in a thick smoothie base. Pour in the liquid first, then the powders, like superfood mixes, seeds, protein powder etc., and finally the frozen ingredients. To make it taste like a treat, consider using plant-based creamer-one tbsp or two is usually enough. If using chia seeds, soak them before blending to help with thickness, and, especially if you have a sensitive digestive tract, to prevent a possible tummy problem. You might also consider adding psyllium husk, for extra fiber, and extra thickness. Among the veggies, steamed sweet potatoes, pumpkins and cauliflower will add creaminess, and avocados and coconut cream will get you even more healthy fat while adding buttery, smooth consistency.
Chocolate Lover Bowl
Cacao smoothie pouch is, unsurprisingly, the most popular Smoothie Box mix. What is surprising is the ingredients. Although it is packed with kale and zucchini, the picky eaters will NOT taste any of it.
- 1 Cacao smoothie pouch.
- 2 tbsp Yoursuper Plant Collagen.
- 3/4 cup plant-based yogurt.
- 1-2 tbsp favourite choco spread (my all-time favourite is Artisana. It’s like paradise on earth!).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 2 tbsp Yoursuper Chocolate Lover.
- Half a banana.
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until they are thoroughly combined and smooth.
Topping ideas: If you are feeling especially festive, or in a celebratory mode, which I hope you do, try topping the bowl with cacao nibs, nuts, one of Sakara’s granolas (they’re all yummy), coconut chips, dried or fresh fruits. (Code XOIVY for a discount on everything on the SakaraLife website, including the 10-day reset and supplements).
Pumpkin pie smoothie bowl
Clementine pouch has root veggies, ginger, and yummy citrus fruits. It also has coconut cream which I happen to love very much. This is such a Fall smoothie, but I find it helpful as a pre-workout boost, too.
- 1 Smoothie Box Clementine Pouch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (you can sub for date syrup, or any other liquid sweetener).
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup oatmilk
- 2 tbsp pecan butter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp Yoursuper Golden Mellow
- 1-2 medjool dates (Pre-soaked).
Place all ingredients in a highspeed blender and blend until they are thoroughly combined and smooth.
Topping ideas: Pecans and dried cranberries are amazing on this smoothie, but I also add seeds.
Energizing Green Smoothie
You know how important greens are to me, especially for hormone health. But I am particular about my green smoothies. They have to be refreshing, energizing, AND not too “grassy”. The Smoothie Box green flavour has all the goods: Spinach, apples, avocado, pineapples, flax seeds, hemp seeds- veggies, fruits, fats, and protein. Love the balance.
- 1 SmoothieBox Green Super Smoothie pouch
- 2 tsp Yoursuper Power Matcha
- 1/2 cup frozen mangoes (sub for frozen peaches, if you are watching your carb intake)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 inch ginger
- fresh mint and lemon (optional, but highly recommended).
Berry creamsicle smoothie bowl
This is my favourite Smoothie Box Mix. I love love love this mix, and sometimes order one extra bag! It’s yummy and nutritious with berries, beet juice, and hemp seeds.
- 1 Smoothie Box Berry Pouch
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 tsp Yoursuper Forever Beautiful
- 1 cup of blueberries
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup steamed beets (optional, for extra nutrition. Root veggies are amazing detoxifiers, especially beets.)
- 1/2 cup plant-based yogurt (I used cashew).
Bonus!!! “Almost-like-chocolate-cake” Post-Workout Smoothie
This is another extremely easy but yummy recipe, for when you need a quick protein smoothie after a work-out.
- 1/2 Smoothie Box Chocolate Pouch
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chocolate nut butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp Yoursuper Forever Beautiful (pre-soaked) or Chocolate Lover. (Optional, but they both provide extra antioxidant and make the smoothie creamier;))
- 1 scoop favourite chocolate protein powder (I used Orgain– use the code SHAKINGMYTOFU for a 30% discount on your first order).
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
If you consider giving The Smoothie Box a try, do not forget to use the code SHAKINGMYTOFU for a $15 Off + Free Shipping On Your First SmoothieBox.
Thank you so much for considering to support my blog. The best way to show support is by sharing, liking, commenting. You can also follow Shakingmytofu on Instagram and Facebook. However you support me, please know I am truly grateful.
Editor’s note: The information in this article is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health programme.
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: SOME OF THE INFO IN THIS BLOG MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. IF YOU PURCHASE SOMETHING THROUGH ONE OF THOSE LINKS, YOUR COSTS WILL BE THE SAME BUT SMT WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION, WHICH HELPS KEEP OUR BLOG RUNNING SMOOTHLY. I APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT!